OtologyOmniGuide's electrically silent advanced energy gives you the confidence and ability to operate near delicate structures within a variety of otology procedures.
CO2 Laser Otologic Surgery
OmniGuide’s BeamPath® OTO System is a flexible CO2 laser system that enables precise otologic surgery. Unlike the line-of-sight CO2 laser, the BeamPath OTO’s intuitive hand-held design empowers the surgeon to freely direct CO2 laser energy at any angle and navigate around critical middle ear anatomy. This is useful for procedures where line-of sight CO2 laser energy is typically used, such as stapes surgery (CLASS – CO2 Laser Assisted Stapes Surgery), as well as those procedures where CO2 laser was previously limited in use, such as chronic ear surgery complicated by cholesteatoma, scar tissue, and adhesions (CLEAR – CO2 Laser Enabled Ablation & Resection).
Enhanced Surgical Precision
- Improved access near difficult-to-reach anatomy, contoured anatomy2,3
- Minimal thermal trauma with preservation of viable cells4
Increased Operational Efficiency
- Ease-of-setup and use — intuitive design provides more control2
- Multi-functional tool — can be used for cutting, ablation and coagulation2,3
- Enhanced exposure minimizes changes in operative setup1
CO2 Laser Clinical Applications
CLASS: CO2 Laser Assisted Stapes Surgery
The streamlined geometry of the BeamPath OTO-S fiber enables superior visualization in the confined space of the middle ear. Offering the combined benefits of precision, hand-held control, and hemostasis of microvasculature, the BeamPath OTO-S is a superior tool for stapes surgery. The fiber is used to precisely resect the stapes tendon and crus and to safely form a rosette in the footplate. The excellent absorption of CO2 laser energy at the surface of the perilymph and the hand-held maneuverability of the fiber may help to minimize the risk of damage to underlying middle and inner ear structures.
CLEAR: CO2 Laser Enabled Ablation & Resection
The BeamPath OTO-M offers surgeons a no-touch dissection tool, safe to use around the delicate structures of the middle ear. The combined cutting, ablation, and micro-coagulation of the tool allows for efficient yet delicate, layer-by-layer removal of diseased tissue which is often encountered during chronic ear procedures. The fiber can be used for diseased tissue removal during: revision procedures (stapedectomy, mastiodectomy), tympano-mastoidectomy, tumor resection, and ossicular chain reconstruction. The BeamPath OTO-M fiber’s hand-held control and micro-coagulation allow CO2 laser energy to be used as never before.
- Cholesteatoma removal
- Adhesion ablation
- Scar tissue dissection
- Debulking and coagulation of vascular tumors
CO2 Laser Papers & Publications
Peer-Reviewed Clinical Papers
- Lesinski SG, Giesken K. Optical Fiber for CO2 Laser Otosclerosis Surgery, Otolaryngol Head & Neck Surg. 2008;139(2 Suppl 1):57 – To determine the safety and efficacy of new handheld optical fibers for CO2 laser stapedotomy and stapedectomy revision. Advantages of the new CO2 optic fibers are: convenience, reliability and precision. Disadvantages are: special adaptor required for laser console, limited spot size and cost. Omniguides’ handheld optic fibers introduce a safe, effective, and precise delivery system for CO2 laser otosclerosis surgery.
- Moss JR, Kaylie DM. Use of OmniGuide CO2 Laser Fiber in Otologic Surgery. Triologic Society (Southern Section) 2008 Poster – The aim of our review is to look at the safety, effi- cacy and outcomes with the use of a handheld carbon dioxide (CO2) laser in middle ear surgery.
- Holsinger et al, Laryngoscope 116: July 2006.
- Jacobson et al, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2006) 135, 469-470.
- Shires et al, International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology (2009) 73, 67 -72.
- Chettri and Long, Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology (2011) 22, 131-134
BeamPath® OTO Fibers
OmniGuide Surgical’s BeamPath OTO-S and OTO-M fibers have been specifically designed for use in otology surgery. BeamPath OTO fibers are fitted with a tip that is only 585 microns in diameter, providing maximum visibility and access in complex otological procedures. The BeamPath OTO fiber is compatible with BeamPath OTO instrumentation.
BeamPath® OTO Instrumentation
BeamPath OTO handpieces feature a streamlined geometry that enable superior visualization in confined anatomies. A pencil grip design enables precise maneuvering around delicate ear structures. BeamPath OTO handpieces are for use only with our uniquely engineered BeamPath OTO fibers.
Need More Information?
Our customer service team is available to answer any questions that you may have, or to schedule an in-office demonstration of our advanced-energy surgical technologies.